Sunday, June 22, 2008

I Scream, You Scream...

It's no secret that I love ice cream. Coming from the family I do, not loving ice cream was pretty much a genetic impossibility. Every family vacation I remember involved ice cream, and the best were vacations with a variety of local ice cream shops. Not only could I try a new flavor every night, but I could try a new flavor at a new shop. In my book, such a great ice cream set-up equals a fantastic vacation, no questions asked.

My mixture wasn't entirely well-blended when it went into the ice cream maker. But that didn't affect the taste in the least.

Even though I happily eat (and crave) ice cream throughout the year, summer is the nostalgic season for the creamy, frozen treat. We all remember the ice cream man; he seemed like the purveyor of deliciousness when I was little. Over time I've refined my ice cream palate, so to speak, although I still prefer classic flavors to the new, candy-filled concoctions the major ice cream companies seem to have been inventing lately.

Watching the ice cream thicken is basically the physical manifestation of anticipation.

When I decided to try cooking lots of new foods this summer, I added something of an ice cream clause to my personal goals. I remember ice cream as being a real treat, terrificly tasty and comforting, and I wanted that feeling again. Thus, for this entire summer, I'm not buying ice cream at the grocery. Instead, I'm making it. Because nothing recalls the childish joyousness of ice cream like a batch fresh from the ice cream maker.

Mmm, so chocolaty! Mike and I decided it would taste great with some marshmallows mixed in.

I received an ice cream maker for my birthday a few years back, and thus far I've stuck to the flavors detailed in the instruction and recipe booklet that came included. So far this summer I've made three great flavors: orange sherbet; fresh strawberry ice cream; and tonight's dessert, chocolate fudgesicle ice cream. It was thick, fudge-y, and oh-so-simple. Mike (the cupcake guy, who's always up for a culinary experiment) said it was great. I hope you like it as much as he did.

All gone!

Chocolate Fudgesicle Ice Cream
from the Cuisinart Automatic Frozen Yogurt-Ice Cream & Sorbet Maker instruction and recipe booklet

2 packages (3.4 - 3.9 ounce) instant chocolate pudding
3 cups reduced fat or lowfat milk, chilled

Mix ingredients until well blended. Pour the mixture into the ice cream maker and let it thicken for 20-25 minutes. Serve immediately, or freeze in an airtight container.
Note: I haven't tried it yet, but theoretically you could use any flavor/s of instant pudding in this recipe. Chocolate banana? White chocolate pistachio? Get creative, and do let me know if you stumble on anything genius.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I (Amy's Aunt Gail) can atest to Amy's love of icecream as her goal on our recent trip to Italy was to try every flavor gelato available in the country (we did a pretty good job reaching her goal). Of course we missed alot of art but you have to set your priorities..